March 28, 2005

England: The Lowlights

Sure, the trip was all great and that, but now it's time to list some of the things which just didn't go as planned or were downright disappointing. Here they are. Please note that in the end, the lowlights were very few and definitely did nothing to damage the overall picture of the trip.
We start with
1. Dragging my luggage with me all day in Cambridge. I stopped in Cambridge on the way from Norwich to London. There weren't any luggage lockers in the station so I ended up taking my suitcase with me. The city centre was about a 30 minute walk from the station, and the weather was very cloudy and gloomy.
2. The English water system. "Water system" is hardly a correct term, but I don't understand the point of having a tap for boiling water and another one for the freezing water. It's like you have to decide whether to scorch your skin off or turn your fingers into icicles. The showers also felt more like light summer drizzles.
3. The cost of transport. I spent 6 pounds every day for travelling around in London, and about 50 pounds altogether for the train trips.
4. Experiencing the underground during rush hour. The underground trains are so loud in London I had to always hold a hand to my ear on the platforms. During rush hour, station assistans stood around, yelling into microphones for people to stand back while the train was approaching (I didn't have to be warned) and to MIND THE DOORS as people packed themselves onto trains which then left for the tunnels. Spooky. One time, chaos reigned because of a breakdown on one line - the reason was a man under a train.
5. The closing concert of Jugend Musiziert. Sure, the closing concerts are always nice rituals to be gone over again and again, but this year I couldn't help thinking how different the whole affair looked to me with friends missing who had always been there for the past seven years.
6. Heathrow Airport. I left home at six in the morning and arrived way too early at Heathrow Airport. Hanging around in the waiting area was definitely boring, and I didn't even have any money left to spend.
7. Lunch at Bury St. Edmunds. When I ordered a roast sandwich at a pub, I thought I'd get something more exciting than two pieces of bread with a big thick piece of meat between them. I used cider to wash it all down. In general, trying to find lunch in England at 3 o'clock was nearly impossible because of ridiculous opening times.
8. The Natural History Museum. Expectations were running high on this tourist magnet. The building is beautiful, but inside you only find screaming groups of school children and stuff you've seen before somewhere else. Of course I only saw a very small part of the exhibitions, but it all seemed rather boring to me. I headed off to the Victoria and Albert instead for a second visit.
9. Erith station at night-time. I was staying in Erith, a community about 35 minutes on train from Central London. The station was particularly shabby at night-times, and one night there was a woman walking infront of me who was obviously terrified of having someone walking behind her at that time. I crossed the street just to make her feel safer.
10. 6pm closing time in Norwich. You can't help but wonder what people in Norwich do in the evenings, when they're coming home from work, hoping to do some window-shopping and perhaps grab a cup of coffee (more likely tea) at Starbucks, only to find everything closed. A seven o'clock walk in central Norwich resembled a stroll through the graveyard.

Good night.

1 Comments:

At 31 March, 2005 17:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genau! Der Bahnhof von Cambridge, wo ich auch im vorigen Jahr eine halbe Stunde verbringen musste! Ich hatte auf einer Bank ein Joghurt verspeist, eine Flasche Wasser getrunken, noch irgendwas gegessen ... Und als ich den ganzen Abfall entsorgen wollte: Es gibt keine Mülleimer! Ich habe den ganzen Bahnhof abgesucht - nix. Schließlich habe ich an einem Kiosk gefragt: "Ye know - security ..." Der Typ hat dann aber gnädigerweise meinen Müll genommen und hinter der Theke entsorgt.
Und also gibt es auch auf den Bahnhöfen in London keine Schließfächer (für Bomben), sondern nur eine Gepäckaufbewahrung, wo das Gepäckstück vor der Aufbewahrung geröngt wird.

Apropos Norwich am Abend: Eine gute Idee wäre ein Besuch in der Carrow Road, den Canaries zuschauen. Wenn sie denn gerade spielen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home