March 04, 2005

Dani's first Weblog entry

Well, this is my first blog and I'm actually quite interested in finding out whether this will be a passing phase and I'll end up writing a couple of these before they're left to rot in cyberspace OR whether I'll still be tipping these entries at the age of 129 (I have a long lifeline).

I fist heard the word BLOG last week while I was on holiday in New York, sitting on a sofa and surfing through "very exciting" TV advertisements. Suddenly I caught a news channel and this story on the newest fad on the internet. Almost right after that, my friend Martin told me to go and visit his weblog so I figured I had to join the madness before I was officially named as an outsider in cyberspace.

I think this seems like a nice way to keep my relatives around the world and all my friends posted on what's happening in my life! Seriously, isn't it incredible, how the internet has broadened the means of communication? I mean, I still write letters by hand and think it's a personal and, after all, not too slow way of keeping in touch (except in Greenland's northernmost town Qaanaaq, where mail arrives twice a week and you don't want to know all the places it has to travel to before reaching that place. It's a good thing I don't have any relatives there. Interested? Visit www.turistqaanaaq.gl). As I was saying, snail mail is all very well, but with all these modern gadgets and gizmos available, who HONESTLY wants to walk ALL THE WAY to the nearest post office, buy STAMPS and THEN put a letter in a mail box, and FURTHERMORE count the days before the mail is collected, flown to the other side of the world across vast oceans and ice-capped mountains, carried through exotic JUNGLES and scorching DESERTS, and THEN delivered to the recipient. I think we all agree that, as far as imagination is concerned, there's nothing that can beat email. One click and you're done.

A few words about my day before turning in. I'm finally recovering from my post-NYC fever spell which had me immobilised in bed with a temperature of 39 degrees. I could almost see my apartment untidying itself, and before I could say "Achoo!!", the dishes had really piled up in the sink.

After waking up (at 12.00!!!!!) I braved the winds and left the house for a couple of rehearsals and a conducting lesson, which was fun since all we did was analyse a video of myself conducting the chamber choir AUDITE and I didn't have to move a muscle. In the evening, I went to my family's place to watch Emergency Room, which was particularly tragic today. It's just about my bedtime and I'm signing off for today. Good night!

2 Comments:

At 03 March, 2005 22:45, Blogger Martin said...

As I inspired you to open this blog, I seem to have the honour of posting the first comment *grin* well, here it is!
First of all - TERRIFIC style!! You're gonna go far with this one.. X) Good attitude towards blogging - relaxed, writing freely, kind of stream-of-consciousness and yet maintaining a certain structure. I'll make my contribution to making this place better known by putting a link on my blog as soon as possible :)
All thumbs up & CU soon

Martin

P.S. thanks for the Qaanaaq tip :D

 
At 05 April, 2005 15:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, great blogging style. The humour doesn't overshadow the factual content, and the reader is left informed but still entertained. (and hanging on the edge of their seat, waiting to hear what will happen next!)
One of the best blogs I've read in a while,
keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home