March 05, 2005

All set for the weekend

Why is it one really appreciates lying in bed with a fever only when one finds oneself juggling various appointments and obligations, glancing at the watch and realising there won't be any time for that relaxed and long-drawn lunch break? Actually, today wasn't at all one of the worst days, but still I would have liked to be home long before eight.

This Friday started with a proper vacuum cleaning of the floor. I still don't own a vacuum cleaner of my own, so I carried my parents' machine here last night. Finally I got rid of the last of those nasty pieces of glass which have been bothering me ever since I broke the glass lamp at my entrance a couple of weeks ago. It's nice to know I can now walk around my home without risk of tearing a sock.

I had lunch with Jorma, who's one of the many friends I've made during my 12 years in CM. He's going to substitute me as a teacher at CM when I leave for England in exactly a week. We ate at a student cafeteria, where students pay only 2,35€ for some meat sauce with noodles (in that order) and non-students have to dish out 5,80€ for a lousy salad. This is Finland, after all.

The afternoon and evening were spent with the harp, first at my own lesson and then at a group lesson. After that, I looked over the harp part of a musical in which I'm supposed to play in a month and, together with my teacher, recomposed the music so that it can actually be played on the harp (harpists do this all the time).

The day ended with a stroke of good luck. While paying for my groceries, I saw my tram passing the store on its way to the stop. I grabbed the bag and ran for the door, knocked the shopping against a wall and heard as one of the bottles I bought thudded ominously against a wall. The driver waited for me to enter the tram and I inspected the shopping, expecting to find my Heinz Curry Sauce all over the chocolate cookies. As it was, everything was intact and I could enjoy the ride home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home