October 24, 2006

Another dream post

Here are some international (and not so international) aviation routes I dream of flying some day!

FRA-ASB via GYD
Lufthansa flies three times a week to Turkmenistan’s capital Ashgabat, probably one of the most mysterious and isolated capital cities in the world, from Frankfurt. On the 7h flight, the Airbus 330-200 makes a stop in Baku, Azerbaijan – also not exactly one of the top most touristic destinations.

Ashgabat airport's terminal seen from space.
SVO-PKC
Aeroflot’s daily flight from Moscow to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is one I am determined to get on my flight log some day. After nine hours, you emerge from the (hopefully still intact) airplane still in the same country where you departed from , and in one of the most beautiful and exciting natural environments in the world.

A Pulkovo Airlines Ilyushin IL-86 parked at PKC. Note how the airport is also used as a main thoroughfare for bikers!

VIE-THR
Austrian Airlines gets a heap of sympathy points from me – they may be on the brink of a financial catastrophe, but they can be proud of their list of destinations in the Middle East. This includes Tehran, an airport probably all western governments are now urging to avoid. There has never been a better time to visit Iran.

MAD-UIO
Perhaps one of the more realistic items on this list, Spanish national carrier Iberia’s 12h trip to Quito certainly seems the most tempting way of reaching Ecuador from Europe. First of all, it doesn’t make downright aggravating stopovers in the Caribbean or Guayaquil, which is further from Europe than Quito (take a bow, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines), and second of all its touchdown in daytime means the passenger can fully appreciate perhaps the most stunning backdrop for a landing anywhere in the world. It’s a shame a new airport is being built outside the city centre (then again, ducking whenever passenger jets fly by could make you think twice before hitting the streets).

Quito's airport is in the middle of town.
Feel free to comment and maybe even add some of your own dream flights!

3 Comments:

At 25 October, 2006 14:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitäs yllytit...

I have no expertise in this sort of advanced search, but after discovering the "Airports of the World" I found the places I wanted to go... But I have no idea which airlines go to the two first ones! And I don't think it's possible to put pictures here...

HEL-DME/SVO/VKO-MCX (one of those three is the airport for domestic flights I suppose)

"The Kumuks" is a group of estimated 200.000 people, who live in Daguestan, Russia on the shore of Caspian Sea and who speak a Turkic language. When I was studying in Gazi, my tutoring professor and also my greatest support in the faculty of arts was a docent who wrote his thesis on Kumuks. He had travelled there to study the language of Kumuks. I thought "If I ever be a famous turcologist, I want to do something similar." It well seems like I am not going to be one, but still I would like to see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears if said language really is from the same family.

HEL-SVO-ULN-ERT
From Helsinki to Moscow, from Moscow to Ulaanbaatar and from there to Erdenet. To go and see these
They are situated in the valley between Orhon Gol river and Tuul Gol river in Mongolia, south from the lake Baykal. We studied the text in them at school, but what would be really cool is to first learn the 14-character alphabet and then go and enjoy the reading yourself. The fact that these samples are situated in a totally deserted area makes it difficult. But ah, to stand where over one hundred years ago stood Radloff and Thomsen, that's something!

HEL-LHR-SKB

Possible with Virgin Atlantic Airlines and American Airlines at least. I once represented St Kitts and Nevis in THIMUN in the Hague. If I someday feel like a relaxing do-nothing-party 24/7-sleep late-smoke and drink rhum-type of holiday, this is my spot! And maybe I would learn the answer to the simplest question which our delegation couldn't answer back in 2002: "What is your capital city?"

HEL-FRA-CPT

For instance with Lufthansa. This is to do in a cloudless day, early in the morning and without sitting in the aisle! If I had then a couple of spare months, I would like to "climb up" again, slower this time. In Cape Town you really must feel like you are far from home. Also I would like to see if my perspective of world would change. This reminded me of a map our teacher showed us in the History of Arabs course. It was a map, where the Middle East was the center of Europe and Asia (see for yourselves) I wonder, if they had made world maps in Cape Town 500 years ago considering Cape Town the centre, how would it look like?

Gosh. This took me ages! But I must admit, it WAS fun!

 
At 25 October, 2006 15:50, Blogger Dani said...

Great comment, Melissa!
MCX (Makhachkala, Russia) airport is served by - surprise - Daguestan Airlines. For connections from Helsinki, you need look no further than Pulkovo airport in St. Petersburg for a flight. And by the way, all of Moscow's three major airports handle domestic services, but as far as I know, Domodedovo is the main domestic airport.

Chances with Erdenet are very small since even MIAT, Mongolia's national airline, doesn't fly there (not very surprising as the airport doesn't seem to have a runway - check Google Earth). Your best bet is to simply catch the Aeroflot flight from SVO to ULN and make your way from there.. (hitchhiking??)

 
At 25 October, 2006 17:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, I started exploring the Orhon inscriptions' location more, and seems like Edernet has to be forgotten, since they are located near the ruined city of Karakorum, south west from Ulaanbaatar (Erdenet being in N)! For some reason the Turkish sources I found weren't exact enough on this matter. I made a major attack on GE but could not find the rocks- yet!!

But I've got a clue to follow...

PS.-Check out the glaciars SW from Ulaabaatar. Even more beautiful than Erdenet suburbs!
PPS.- Flights from 900e!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home