April 04, 2006

Answers?

The world is full of questions! Here are some I asked myself today.

Finnish cucumbers in the stores have been very thin last days. What's to blame? The persistent winter weather? Genetically manipulated crops? Global warming?

Why do mothers let their children run around shrieking and chasing each other all over the school cafeteria? And at my lunch hour?

I was going to make the 20.36 tram from Ruoholahti home, but just as I was getting out of the bus at 20.35, the tram left infront of my nose. Which time was wrong? The digital clock in the bus, my mobile phone's time, or the tram-driver's?

Just how many times have I been speaking with a certain friend on the phone in the tram when my battery unexpectedly finishes exactly at the stop of the national museum?

How is it possible my new "Super absorbent and durable Sponge cloth" for the kitchen can absorb up to ten times its own weight?

How do I explain that B flat major only has two flats although I see three flats on the blackboard when I draw the scale, and, good point, WHY can't we just draw the barlines counting from the first note, even if it's an upbeat?

Exactly how much did Richard Strauss know about the harp? Or did he just always use a harpist with three legs and five hands?

Tomorrow: A visit to the Chinese embassy will provide an interesting new entry in my series about multicultural Helsinki (see previous entry for more)

1 Comments:

At 04 April, 2006 23:05, Blogger Martin said...

1. No idea, maybe they caught the trend of a collectively slim society?

2. Children need certain freedoms to develop properly and become good teenagers who then chase each other in school hallways.

3. The digital clock in buses is, as far as I know, synchronized over-the-air with some atomic clock. (At least this would make sense since they do indeed all show the same time.) The same applies for the tram, which leaves us with only one possible culprit.

4. Exactly 15-and-a-half times.

5. Advantageous molecular structure.

6. Three flats? With the upbeat included in the first measure, all subsequent measures would get wrong, right? To determine whether a note is on- or offbeat, one would have to add the upbeat value to the timing... No thanks.

7. He might have used enchanted harps!

See ya tomorrow at Little China :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home