December 06, 2007

Defining

I have been reading past posts to get a feel of this blog again - it's not always easy to start posting after a long break. It is time to once again ask myself: what do I want readers to expect when they read this? A sweeping epic about a fleeting life, complete with dramatic elements? A comical take on life's quirkiest moments, including various sidekicks to complete the picture? A breathtaking insight into life in the Far North? What the heck. Thanks for reading, and welcome to the latest edition of Songs of a Wayfarer.

Finland turned 90 today, and the rainy morning found me dashing down Kustaankatu with my arms all over the place at 8:17. I was aiming for the 8:24 tram, which actually arrived at 8:22, its flashy green-yellowy presence a near-blinding vision in the darkness. At Meilahti church, the chamber choir Kaamos had its very first official performance, assisting at mass. Sadly, it seemed like the priest didn't quite register our presence and was about to plunge forward with the service just as we were about to start. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with determined bashes to the tuning fork, sharp intakes of breath and some very wild sign language.

Back at home, changing the sheets was just about all I could manage before collapsing on the bed, now much more inviting. Lunch was modest: noodles with a soft-boiled egg. At some point, I completed an online test by Helsingin Sanomat to see who really deserves the Finnish citizenship. I got 33% of the questions right and, apparently, should be exiled without further notice.

In the evening, we headed through the rain (did I mention it rained all day) to classy Ristorante Gastone for our double birthday family dinner. The food was excellent and filling (I can still feel the oily pasta rumbling in my tummy and a piece of mud cake stuck to my throat) and the digestive walk (through the rain) came in useful afterwards. Back at home, I realised I was still alone, so I tuned in to the third season of Lost, a recent present from Pauli and Iina, on J's television.

By the way, if you're on Facebook, now you can tune into Dani's happenings between pokes, friend requests and hurling sheep. This is because I finally figured out the complex system of importing blogs to my profile (I found the button "import external blog"). Apparently, even the pictures come up there, so, hurray. Another reason to waste all your life online. Good night my readers, old and new :)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home