September 20, 2007

Neutral

It's 7:45 in the morning and I am sitting in my room in this new flat where J and I have now soon lived for three weeks. Although this is a busy part of town, I can't see too big of a rush on Kustaankatu, nor on the small slice of Helsinginkatu visible from here. I just finished my glass of orange juice and am considering a refill. J is still asleep, probably exhausted from his trip to Tallinn with his Japanese guests.

I myself am travelling to Germany tomorrow to attend my cousin's wedding. My last visit to Bamberg was last February, something of a strange time - maybe one could say a sort of calm before the storm or. How incredible to realise it was barely half a year ago. This will probably be a totally different visit. My father and sister are coming, too, and what's best, we'll see my uncle and his wife, who travelled all the way from Quito. My mother is in Damascus, visiting her family which is going through a rough time.

I have quite a long day ahead! At ten, a totally useless course where we don't really need to worry yet if we don't know the theme for our final written presentation but actually it would be good if we could hold a little speech about our subject right now. After that, a chamber music rehearsal, and then our choral conducting group lesson (goodie). This reminds me of a friend's birthday today - I should stop somewhere on my way and get him a card. Afterwards, I'll be rumbling across the bridges of Lauttasaari as bus 103 takes me on my six-times-monthly trip to Otaniemi (it actually only lasts 15 minutes) and end the day by conducting a rehearsal of Murtosointu (Schütz, Brahms, Komulainen, Tormis). In between, I'll hopefully have time to take care of some things which would otherwise crash upon me when I come back.

Suddenly, Duruflé's Requiem starts playing on my computer, and I am instantly transported to Chorforum Gleisdorf's rehearsals in that slightly stuffy but spacious school classroom, with me on the grand piano and Natasha tying up her hair for some serious conduting action. "Where shall we begin?" "How about this wonderful melody here?" "Oh yes, play the melody... Daaa daaa daaa daaa daaaaaaa daaaaa.." A postcard with the Graz opera house on it arrived from Petra the other day (she was visiting), and lately I have also been receiving the rehearsal schedules of cpmg by email. They probably forgot to take me off their mailing list, but I don't mind. As a matter of fact, WHOA! Today is their first rehearsal after the summer!

Speaking of rehearsals, yesterday was my second session with one of my new choirs, and while it did go very well, I have to admit my self-confidence shook just that tiny bit when I realised we were ten singers less than the first time. Well, maybe they just all caught that flu which is going around. An interesting observation, by the way: it really makes a difference if a choir rehearsal ends at 20 or 21. Used to the latter, Wednesday seems a pleasure, because I arrive home at 20:10 and practically have a whole day left before sleep takes over!

We've switched from Duruflé to Vaughan Williams. I probably should kick myself up from this chair, have something to eat, take a shower, and go out the door. Guess what, it started raining again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home