July 27, 2006

Untitled

I don't very well know what to write today. It's very late and I've spent the last hour or so putting pictures from last year's Middle East trip in the album. I wanted to develop more pictures while the offer lasts still this week, but I don't think that's very wise now, since I already spent quite a lot of money today on stuff for the apartment - more on that later - and two weeks in Ireland on a shoestring budget is probably a paradox. I also looked at all the pictures in my 2003 album.

In my last entry, I forgot to mention that the days in the countryside led me to a decision: if I ever have money to spare, I'm going to get myself a summer cottage somewhere. Owning a mökki is strongly engrained in the Finnish psyche, but even if I end up living in the urban jungles of Tokyo or Belushya Guba on the not-reachable-by-plane island of Novaya Zemliya, I want to have a place in the nature to escape to in the holidays.

After reading a book called "Household management for men" some days ago, I was ready to despair about my home. The book is a sort of guide which takes you through every room in the house (and more than that - if anyone has a "utility room" or a "home office", please report it here) and advises you on what chores should be done daily, weekly and monthly. I think that if I would really do all of these things, I would be left with about one hour and a half every day to live a life. The book almost flew out the window when I read the toilet seat should be cleaned every day. Again, if anyone does this, please raise your hands. However, the book did have some positive effects as well - inspired by it, I went on a shopping spree in Claes Olsson and got myself some stuff.

I was reading "Baghdad Burning" today (link still on the sidebar). Quite shocking stuff. And now with the world's attention drawn to the mess in Lebanon, I really feel for all the people around the world suffering similar atrocities. Some may say Finland is boring, but at least it's safe. And for the record, it's not boring :)

Don't know what picture to post here, so I'm going to select one at random from my library.

Poor people who never see snow. Quiz: Where in Helsinki is this picture taken? Oh, and it's from last November.

3 Comments:

At 28 July, 2006 13:29, Blogger Katsi said...

Ramp leading from Mannerheimintie to Töölönlahti park near Hesperianpuisto. Our toiletseat gets cleaned by Jarno, who's in Germany now.

 
At 28 July, 2006 17:45, Blogger Dani said...

We have a winner!! :)

 
At 01 August, 2006 20:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

höh! thanks a lot katsi i was just coming to say that itäs TÖÖLÖNLAHTI!!! BUT whatever! have fun in ireland dani,i miss you !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home