June 10, 2006

World cup and picture comparisons

I went to some travel agencies today to find out some things about my trip to Turkey. Mostly I asked about flights inside Syria – the national carrier is Syrian Air with a catchy slogan: “Syria means Safety”. The network is pretty extensive and there are flights between Damascus and Aleppo almost every two hours. The office was one of the bleakest places I have ever been in – all white and clinical with one woman fumbling with her phone behind a computer. At least she spoke English. I left with some useful information and a timetable which is like something straight out of the Molvanian guidebook (pages and pages with DOMESTIC FLIFGHTS). By the way, prices are really cheap, a one way trip to Aleppo costs 20 US Dollars.

I still haven’t decided when to go and the exact route. I can either go to Turkey from Aleppo or from Latakia (however, the aircraft to Latakia is something with the suspicious name of Yak-4, I’ll have to do some internet research on its reliability). The only flights from here to Turkey are to Istanbul, and that doesn’t help me at all. Carlos, Dea and I are probably going to make a two-day trip to Aleppo anyway, I’m really interested in seeing the old town, which, according to many sources, is the “most vibrant and untouristy market area in the Middle East” I


Imrali island, in the middle of the Sea of Marmara. I took the top picture from the airplane and the one below is an image from Google Earth.

Anyway, there are very many travel agencies here. Almost all the major international airlines are represented, including Austrian, KLM, and Iraqi airways (boarded up right now).

The streets are eerily empty in the afternoons because of the football matches. I watched both matches yesterday and now we’ll probably sit and watch Sweden play against Trinidad and Tobago. We had fantastic food today at my aunt’s again: sfiha, something like Arabic meat pizzas with yoghurt, fresh salad, and some grilled chicken. It’s funny how the vegetables here taste so good although they’re practically grown in the desert.

Today is my class reunion. I’m a little disappointed I can’t be there because it would have been great fun to see who turns up. The cats have gone crazy, by the way. Sousan can’t stop howling and Grozney is even more affectionate than usual. I hope Nana gives them their pills soon. Daisy is still her usual self.




Damascus international airport. On my top three list of "most frequently flown to-airports"

1 Comments:

At 10 June, 2006 20:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

If you take a flight to Aleppo, there are some Turkish bus agencies offering routes through Turkey, you should quite easily get to Adana or Gaziantep from there. There are also straight buslines from Aleppo all the way up to Ankara. At least a firm called Varan (which actually is the most luxurious company in Turkey, there are many more and this is just the most expensive) has buses to continue from Gaziantep. Here are the bus companies you find from Gaziantep

http://www.kalenderplaza.com/?sf=4&konu=18

Unfortunately they only have telephone numbers which probably answer only in Turkish. But I believe there are daily buses from Aleppo to Turkey so there is no need to arrange it beforehand. Once you are in Adana or Gaziantep, there will be buses leaving every 15 minutes all over Turkey!

I hope that helped at least a little bit :)

Melissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home